Feedback Strategies

Feedback Balloons Source: Pixabay



     The first article I read was "The Difference Between Praise and Feedback". My honest opinion on the article was that I did not like it. I get what they're trying to say and achieve by saying that empty praises thrown around is not the best way to communicate with a child. Also that feedback is when there are details to go with the praise that give the child more knowledge on what it is they're doing right. The article also talks about the fact that when parents do praise they should praise the effort and not the result. I felt like there were some contradictions to what they were saying. For example, if you're supposed to show unconditional love to the children for whatever it is they do, then wouldn't giving feedback be counterproductive to that? Oftentimes, children act more on instinct and the desire to be comfortable or fun. Giving feedback would involve taking some of that away so that they can do something more productive. Of course, I'm sure there are exceptional children who develops an interest early on in their lives that is productive and healthy but this is not always the case. Because of things such as this, the article kind of derailed me from the original purpose of my reading it in learning how to give proper feedback.

    So I read "Giving Creative Feedback" so that I can find it more useful for this class itself. Parenting is way too far away from me. From the lists of comments that I read and this article, I came to the conclusion that details are important. The gut reaction from reading should be used only to find where I found something odd. Once I do follow my reaction to find what made me take a look again, I should try to understand the intent behind that part and try to give voice to how it could be better or fixed using details.

Comments