Week 2 Story - Greedy Crane who got its neck snipped

 This story is now posted on my portfolio website.

Angry Crab Source: Pixabay

    One summer, there were poor fishes in a little pool that felt cramped and dry. The water levels lowered due to the heat and the fishes were struggling to survive. They were all gathered together to discuss what they should do about their survival. One of the older fishes said "We won't last the summer like this, we need to find a way to move to a bigger and better pool with cool shades." All of the fishes knew this of course, but there was nothing they could do as it wasn't as if the pool was connected to another pool.

    As the fishes were discussing there was a greedy crane who was watching them. This crane struggled to hunt fish, because it was lazy and a bad flier. The crane was quick-witted though and said to itself "I can totally trick these fishes into becoming my food!" So, the crane walks up to the fishes slowly as not to scare them and says "Hello fishes, I've heard your conversation and I must say that I sympathize. I can help!" 

    The fishes doubted the crane of course and said "Why would you want to help? We are your food and you hunt us." The crane laughed a replied saying "Yes, but if you were to all die from the heat where would I get my food? It's also in my interest to help you all live in a better environment."  Seeing some sense in what the crane said, the fishes started to trust the crane a little bit. The crane started explaining that he could carry the fishes to a bigger and cooler pool. The older fish who spoke earlier said that he would be the first to go see this pool that the crane speaks of.

    There really was such a pool that the crane was speaking of and after seeing the pool, the older fish went back to the other fishes with the crane and told them that it was true. Trusting the older fish, the other fishes allowed the crane to carry them in its beak one by one. Little did they know, once the crane was far enough away from the small pool, it ate all of the fishes it was carrying in its mouth. 

    Not long after, there were no long any fishes left in the small pool. The crane thought to itself "I'm still hungry, but there is no more fish. What should I do?" It kept searching the pool to see if it missed any little fish but could not find any. After a little while, it saw a crab in a little corner behind a rock. The crane told the crab "Hey crab, you saw what I did for the fishes right? How about I move you to the other pool as well?" Little did it know, the crab was able to walk on land and the lazy crane didn't fly so far away from the pool that the crab couldn't follow it slowly and see what it did. Feeling vengeful all of the fishes, the crab said "Sure! I'll take you up on the offer, but I'm scared of heights so let me grab onto your neck while we fly." The crane didn't think much of it and let the crab do so. 

    Once the crane and the crab flew a bit to where all of the fishes were eaten, the crab suddenly clenched its claws as hard as it could. The crane yelled "What are you doing? You're hurting me!" The crab laughed coldly and said "I know that you're trying to eat me. I'll take revenge for all of the fishes!" That was the end of the greedy crane and the crab went back to the small pool hoping there would be more fish friends to come.

Author's Note: This was my first time rewriting a story and it ended up being way longer than I thought it would be. It's a short story to begin with, but when I started writing I realized how much detail went into this short little story. I made slight changes to the story, and I'm not that happy with it since I think the original had a better delivery in its message. 

Bibliography. "The Cunning Crane and the Crab" from Old India by W. H. D. Rouse. Web Source


Comments

  1. Hi Shaun,
    I really enjoyed your story! It definitely creeps up on you, how quickly you use up a word count when writing a story. This still felt very short to read. Dr. Gibbs posted really helpful tips on shortening microfictions, and it could help with a short story as well. You talk about focusing on the message, so maybe removing passive verbs, unneccesary adverbs, etc. will give you more space to focus on the content. But again, I thought you did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I really enjoyed your story, I thought it was very interesting. The greedy crane was easy to dislike and the crab was a good hero figure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shaun! I enjoyed your story and I think that you should definitely be proud of it! You did a great job of incorporating dialogue in your very first short story, this is something that I still struggle with today. I have read many versions of this story and think it would be cool to include some more backstory on the crane. Is this how he has always hunted for food? Is he the only crane in the story because of his utmost selfishness?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Shaun,
    I've also read this story and I think that your'e retelling of it was great! Retelling a story in your own words is, at least I think it is, an easy way to practice your writing skills in general and practice putting your own personal touch on the story! Also, I really like the layout of your site, it's different from most I've seen so far so that's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Shaun! I have read a couple of your stories and just like those I really enjoyed your rendition of this story! I read this story and I like the way you told it better. The crane seemed so greedy! I am so glad to read that the crab prevailed. You did well with setting it up and including dialogue as well. Great job again and I hope your semester is going well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment