Reading Notes [Mahabharata Part C]

 

Indra gifting Arjuna and Krishna with boons Source:Wikipedia Commons

    I'm kind of getting lost as to what the entire story of mahabharata is supposed to be. I'm just piecing together bits of stories and enjoying them separately. One of the story I liked is Arjuna's adventure to his father Indra's land. I wish there were more details about the training that he received. His learning of music and instruments seemed a little random, but I kind of imagined a time-lapse with the Rocky music of Arjuna just training and learning music. There was also the typical trope of Arjuna rejecting the advances of a goddess but her curse towards him for his rejection became an advantage for him against the giant women who tried to manipulate him. The stories about the Pandava brothers and the Draupadi kind of annoys me. I think Ramayana did better in making the characters seem more heroic. Draaupadi is not as staunch and dedicated as Sita was and the brothers are less determined than Rama was. 

Bibliography
Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).
Myths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914).

Comments