Growth Mindset

 

Difficult is not Impossible Source:Growth Mindset

    I've actually heard of growth mindset in several of my classes since about a year ago. I have not heard of Carol Dweck but after watching her Ted talk, I could tell that the gist of growth mindset she speaks of is the same as what I've learned in other classes. In my school work I think that it's been really difficult to keep the growth mindset as a pre-dent student. GPA and class grades are such an important part of getting in to Dental schools (as well as Graduate schools and Medical schools) that I imagine many of these students realize how healthy having a growth mindset is, but can't put it into practice because of the pressure. It's not that we're against challenges and learning new things, but the pressure we feel when we fail to reach our standards can be difficult to cope with. I do however try to use it to take some pressure off myself and stay positive when I don't perform as well as I want or have difficulty learning certain materials. I hope to learn to use it more often in my studies as time passes.

Comments